Tuesday, March 31, 2020
To help secure the future of the sport, New Zealand Rugby and Provincial Unions have cancelled TECT National Sevens Tournament.
The Sevens tournament is one of several provincial representative rugby tournaments below the 2020 Mitre 10 Cup and Farah Palmer Cup to be cancelled due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The cancellations include the Mitre 10 Heartland Championship, Jock Hobbs Memorial National Under 19 Tournament and all Provincial Union representative rugby tournaments, excluding the Mitre 10 Cup and Farah Palmer Cup.
New Zealand Rugby Chief Executive Mark Robinson said NZ Rugby and the Provincial Unions had worked together to make these difficult decisions for the best interests of the game.
“It’s surreal how much this has impacted everyone in just seven days and we’ve needed to act swiftly, decisively and together. We are united in what we want to achieve and that’s to secure the future of rugby.”
Bay of Plenty Rugby Union Chief Executive Mike Rogers said while it was disappointing the representative events had been cancelled, community rugby was still a priority.
“Cancelling these events is about protecting players, coaches and spectators. But when things do settle down, there will be a strong focus on our schools and club rugby. Given the current situation, we are not sure when we will be able to return to playing rugby.”
Rogers says he was confident the TECT National Sevens would return in 2021.
“We have had great support for the eight years that this prestigious tournament has been held in the Bay. Having organisations like TECT, Tauranga City Council and New Zealand Charitable Trust by our side has meant we have been able to but on a great event and we look forward to doing the same thing next year.”
The cancellations announced yesterday affect the 2020 season only, and no decisions beyond this year had been made. No decisions about the Mitre 10 Cup or Farah Palmer Cup have been made at this stage.